VERB PATTERNS


·         S+be+subject complement/adjunct
This is an I-pad.

An adjunct  is a word or phrase that is an optional element of a sentence, for example on the table in the sentence We left some papers on the table.

·         S+ v (intransitive)
The sun shone.

·         S+ v (intransitive)+ (for)+ adverbial adjunct
We talked for one hour.

·         S+ v (intransitive) + adverbial adjunct
Give in.
Go away.
Come in.

·         S+ v (intransitive)+ adjective/pronoun
She looked happy.
He married young.

·         S+ v (intransitive)+ present participle

Verbs+
 -ing
Adore

Can’t stand

Don’t mind
Asking
Enjoy
Running
Finish
Reading
Imagine
Dancing
loathe


We use the verb go+ -ing for sports and activities.
            I go jogging every day.
            I go travelling on weekends.


Verbs+prepositions                                                         +-ing
Give up

Look forward to

Succeed in
Doing
Think of


Verbs+
to+infinitive
Afford

Agree

Choose
To do
Dare, seem, want
To come
Decide, refuse
To cook
Expect, plan, promise

Need, offer, would prefer
Forget, mean, would love
Help, manage, would like
Hope, learn, would hate

Help and dare can be used without to
We helped clean up the room.
They didn’t dare argue with him.

Have to is used for obligation:
He has to wear a uniform.

Used to for past habits:
I used to study in the reading room of this library.


Verbs+somebody+

to+infinitive
Advise


Allow

To do
Ask

To go
Beg
Me
To come
Encourage
Him

Expect, would like
Them

Force, warn
Someone

Help, want


Invite, tell


Need, remind


Order, persuade



Help can be used without to
I helped her wash the clothes.

Verbs+somebody+

bare infinitive
Help


Let
Him
Do
make
us










 To  is used with make in the passive.
We were made to perform this trick.
Let cannot be used in the passive. Allowed to  is used instead.
They were allowed to leave.
Verbs+ 
-ing or to +infinitive
Begin

Continue

Hate

Like
Doing
Love
To do
Prefer

Start


Verbs+ -ing or to+ infinitive

Remember
Doing
Stop
To do
Try


I remember sending the email.
(= I have a memory now of a past action:  sending the email)
I remembered to send the email.
(= I reminded myself to send the email. I didn’t forget.)

I stopped eating junk food.
(= I gave up the habit)
I stopped to eat ice-cream.
(= I stopped doing something else in order to have ice-cream.)
I tried to sleep.
(= I wanted to sleep, but it was difficult.)
I tried going for a walk and drinking a glass of warm milk.
(=These were possible ways of getting to sleep.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rasa Theory in Kalidasa’s Abhijnanashakuntalam

The title of the Tamil Epic 'Cilappatikaram'

Abhijnana Shakuntalam (Act1-Act5)